Sunday, November 18, 2012

Fitness through the Holidays

This time of year is often hard for people to stay on task when it comes to their fitness.  There are so many social obligations so time is even MORE restricted and workouts may fall to the wayside.  Also, at these social engagements calories are consumed via foodstuffs and beverages.  I am vowing to stay on task.  i need my workouts so I can manage the stress this time of year brings.  For me, I need to make that commitment to myself or I may snap!!  Again, this year, Runner's World is having their running streak challenge: run at least one mile/day from Thanksgiving through Christmas or New year's (now i forget!).  I may try this... although I do believe in rest days, a mile won't put my body over the edge.

I was also thinking of creating my own challenge of completing 30 days of yoga from the weekend of thanksgiving through christmas.  Right now I am attempting to run 100 miles during the month of November and 600 min of NTC.  I am about halfway through miles and minutes--I need to step it up; the week before last I was pretty lax on running -- did some spin sessions and yoga.  Yesterday I headed out with the intention of 5 miles and ran 8.5! :)  it was a gorgeous day.  After having been snowed in last weekend, it was 55 and sunny.  It was windy but that kept my temp down since I had on a running jacket.  It was delightful and I figured since I needed to make up some miles--KEEP GOING! :)

I know my time has been consumed with a crazy busy work schedule and also trying to find time to sew some presents.  I have been up late/waking early to find time to sew.  I enjoy it very much, so it is not hard to convince myself to wake up an hour early to do so. But, I also know I need to exercise so I mentally feel better.  It seems the busier/stressed I get the more I crave my exercise. I feel very fortunate that I have the ability to exercise, the means, safe places, beautiful views, great four legged partners, etc.  When I put the spin on how great it is that I CAN do this, it makes me want to that much more!  

Who else is partaking in a challenge during the holidays?  what are your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment