Sunday, December 29, 2013

Finishing projects

I am finally finishing the pinwheel quilt for my cousin's baby (who is one) and i began it immediately after hearing she was pregnant.  I did a random free motion style quilting, but not in the traditional stippling fashion.  I was less concerned because I simply quilted the top to the batting and then am attaching minky for the back.  Minky is difficult (for me anyway) to quilt.  With the dots, or lines it seems to catch and/or not move as smoothly and this can result in uneven quilting.  Also, since it is for a baby, I figured the main goal was to adhere the top, less concerned with the actual design.  
Upon surfing on Pinterest, I decided i liked the look of the rick rack peeking out at the edge, especially since I was not doing a binding.  This will still add a unique detail to the edges.
The Minky backing is so soft and cuddly for babies, and with the dots it is also cuter than just plain.  I need to launder and press since i was working on the floor and it is covered in cat hair.  Tubbs is also a huge fan of Amy Butler and Minky fabric!! :)

I hope my cousin and her daughter enjoy the quilt.  It was fun to make and now onto the next one.  I have some super fun Riley Blake fabric to work with for my aunt Kelly's baby girl, Charlee.


No comments:

Post a Comment